Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Fuzz bass solo!

I'm sitting around feeling sorry for myself, because instead of hanging with my friends in Minneapolis (Bobby's in town to shoot a commercial) or seeing the New Standards (Suburb/Emmy winner Chan Poling, Semisonic/Trip Shakespearian John Munson, vibraphonist/percussionist Steve Roehm) play at a club in Wicker Park, I had too much work and had to keep the nose to the grindstone.

All done now, and just got the following message from Watt:
hear me work the thudstick w/steve hodges on drums for violinist chris murphy's "blues for bukowski" and yep, that's a fuzz bass solo I did in the middle of it - chris' idea!
Well, I'm a sucker for fuzz bass (particularly if it's in a Sly Stone or Tones on Tail song -- even Paul Revere & the Raiders) -- so here's Watt's contribution, and it's pretty groovy:



And yay! I can go see the New Standards tomorrow night, too, as their gig is a two-night stand.



Here they are covering Roxy Music's "Oh Yeah". They also cover Outkast's "Hey Ya", and even though their stripped down version is more subdued, it's still groovy enough to make me want to jump on the bed.

1 comment:

mark hoback said...

'blues for bukowski' was very nice.